Introducing the Washington Metro DachtoberFest Foundation (WMDF).
WMDF is made up of dachshund-loving professionals from the DC area who were heartbroken when the annual and popular Mid-Atlantic Dachshund Phest (MADP) held in Manassas, Virginia was cancelled earlier this year. We decided to pick up where MADP left off (with MADP’s blessing) with the WMDF DachtoberFest which will be held in Frederick, Maryland on October 5, 2013! The Mid-Atlantic Dachshund Phest attracted thousands of dogs and dog lovers over the past 13 years and now with WMDF taking the reins (or leashes if you will), we hope to continue the tradition of bringing dachshund lovers together to enjoy a day of family oriented doxie fun in an effort to help dachshunds in their time of need. SUPPORTING THE DACHSHUNDS WHO OWN OUR HEARTS. This is our Mission. ENJOYING A DAY OF DOXIE FUN AT THE WMDF DACHTOBERFEST. This is our joy!
Here are some facts about our Foundation and the 2013 WMFD DachtoberFest:
· Our mission is to raise awareness and educate dachshund owners and potential owners with respect to dachshund health, to raise money for rescue vetting and to provide support for ill dachshunds whose owners cannot afford to pay for medical treatment. That is why our logo is "supporting the dachshunds who own our hearts".
· The primary fundraising event of the WMDF is the annual DachtoberFest but we are also planning for year-round fundraising. With your help, we can continue to bring dachshund lovers together to enjoy a day of family-oriented doxie fun in an effort to help dachshunds in their time of need.
· The Washington Metro DachtoberFest Foundation is excited about the events planned for the 2013 WMDF DactoberFest. Everyone loves wiener races so you will LOVE the Dachshund Dash! This year we plan to run it in heats in order to alleviate the long lines! The WMDF Dachshund Strut and costume contest will be similar to the costume parade and contest so many have enjoyed every year at MADP, so start working on your doxie’s costumes now! The WMDF Woofminster Dog Show is something new and fresh and fun for everyone to participate in! The Woofminster Dog Show will be an unofficial dog show just for fun of it to showcase all of the special dachshunds who own our hearts, regardless of whether they are purebred, rescue or purebred rescue. We will have five classes to include females, males, puppies (under 12 mos), rescues and disabled doxies (must have a disability). All dachshunds are welcome and their owners will decide which category to place them in. The 1st place winners of each category return for a best in show! Prizes will be awarded. The WMDF Woofminster Dog Show will also select the DachtoberFest rescue doxie, vivacious veteran (7 and older), daintiest doxie, miniest mini, waggiest wagger, most appealing eyes, handsome boy, gorgeous girl, and rockin’ roller dog just to name a few. There will be more surprises in store too!
· We are thrilled about our mini dachshund forum and ask the expert series which will consist of three to five 30 minute sessions conducted by area veterinary and behavioral specialists addressing dachshund health to include discussions and demonstrations about intervertabral disc disease (IVDD), its signs, treatment and rehabilitation. We will look at pro-active preemptive care and prevention, as well as the various recommended treatments including a conservative approach, an alternative/holistic approach and a surgical approach to IVDD. We will also address general health issues common to all dachshunds, including weight management and oral hygiene as well as behavior and training issues.
· The WMDF is organized as a nonprofit organization and is currently awaiting approval from the IRS for its exemption as a public charity under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
· The Washington Metro DachtoberFest depends solely on the generosity of our vendors and sponsors to fund our event. Since we are a new event, we do not have established donors, and as such we are actively searching for businesses looking to get in on the ground floor as annual sponsors. We invite you to review our different sponsor levels. Each have opportunities to showcase your business. We plan to have a very extensive outreach and we hope this will be beneficial to both our sponsors and our mission.
· We are seeking donations for our fund raising raffle from businesses who are interested in showcasing their products, but may be unable to join us on October 5, 2013. In return for your donation of a raffle item, the Foundation will acknowledge your business in our events program and webpage as a raffle sponsor and will also provide a link to your business on our website for one year.
· Once we receive our Section 501(c)(3) status, your sponsorship donation will be fully deductible as a charitable contribution to the fullest extent allowable by law and you will receive an acknowledgement for tax purposes.
We sincerely hope that you will join us for the 2013 Washington Metro DachtoberFest and greatly appreciate your time and consideration! Together, with your help, we can make this a world-class gathering!
President, Board of Directors
Washington Metro DachtoberFest Foundation, Inc.